GREEK, ROMAN AND AMERICAN CIVILIZATIONS
I. Complete the following sentences by using suitable
words in the blanks.
1. The epics written by Homer are the Iliad and __________
2. The Greeks referred to dictators as ___________
3. The one who laid the foundation for the study of medicine is ___________
4. The first to have analyzed history was ___________
5. ‘Princep' means __________ _
6. The language of the Romans is
7. The Stone Sculptures of the Mayan Civilization are called___
8. Texcoco is a _____________ in Mexico.
9. The leader of Incas was ___________
10. The ruling deity of the Incas was ____ _
Ans: (1) Odyssey (2) tyrants (3) Hippocrates (4) Herodotus (5) the first citizen of the State (6) Latin (7) steles (8) lake (9) Tupec (10) Sun God
II. Answer in brief the following questions:
1. Explain the contributions of Homer to Greek literature.
Ans: Homer wrote two epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey. These epics describe the life and institutions of the time. The Iliad narrates the siege of Troy and its destruction. The Odyssey in great detail deals with the adventures of Odysseus while on his return from Troy.
2. Name the Greek city-states.
Ans: Athens, Sparta, Macedonia and Thebes were some of the Greek City states.
3. Describe the features of the Roman Republic.
Ans: The Roman Republic had an Assembly and a Senate as two political advisory institutions. The assembly was made up of middle aged men, whereas the Senate was an elite institution which was very influential. The Senate had the power to reject the proposals of the Assembly and the king.
4. Which are the civilizations of ancient Columbia?
Ans: The civilizations of ancient Columbia were Maya, Aztec and the Inca.
5. Who are the 'Mayas'?
Ans: The American-Indians aborigines of Yucutan area of Mexico are called the Mayas.
6. Describe the Aztecs worshippers of Nature?
Ans: The Aztecs were the worshippers of Nature. They tried to Please God in many ways, one of them was human sacrifice. As the Aztec empire grew, they sacrificed more and more human beings to please the gods.