INDIA FROM 9TH CENTURY A.D. TO 14TH CENTURY A.D.
l. Fill in the blanks with suitable words:
1. The founder of Gurjar-Pratihara Rajput dynasty was ___________
2. Prithviraj Chauhan defeated ___________ in the first battle of Terrain.
3. The chief commander of Mohammad Ghori was ___________
4. The first woman to rule among the Delhi Sultans was ___________
5. The famous Sultan of the Khilji dynasty was ___________
6. The capital was shifted from Delhi to ___________ during the rule of the Tughlaq.
Ans: (1) Harishchandra (2) Mohammed Ghori (3) Qutubuddin Aibak
(4) Razia Sultana (5) Allauddin Khilji (6) Devagiri
II. Answer in brief the following questions:
1. Explain the contributions of the Rajput kings in the field of literature.
Ans: Rajput kings have contributed a lot to the field of literature –
· King Munja as a scholar- he had poets: Padmagupta and Halayudha in his court.
· King Bhojaraja was a scholar. He had great Jain scolars like Shantisena, Prabhachandrasuri and Ghanapala,
· Great poetic works - Gita Govinda of Jayadeva, Kiratarjuniya of Bharavi, Ravanavadha of Bharthrahari , Kavyamccmumsa of Mahenrdapala were written.
· Dramas like BaJaramayana and Karpuramanjari by Rajasekhara, Mahavira cahrita and Uttara Ramacharita of Bhavabhuti.
· Historical works like Rajatarangini of Kalhana, Prithvirajavijaya of Jayanika and Kumarapalacharita of Hemachandra are significant works.
· Prithviavijaya was written by Chandbaradho and Bhojaprabandha was written by Ballala.
· Gujarati, Rajasthani and Hindi languages saw a lot of development.
2. Describe in brief the administrative system under Iltamush.
Ans: Iltamush divided his kingdom in to provinces (ikta) and to oversee the administration, appointed provincial officers (iktadars). He appointed a group of 40 slaves to advise him in the matters of administration and justice. The Prime Minister and the judges were advisors to the Sultan. Iltamush brought gold and silver coins into circulation. HE completed the construction of Qutub Minar which was started in Qutubuddin Aibak's time.
3. What are the administrative reforms of Allauddin Khilji?
Ans: Allauddin Khilji brought about many reforms in the administration.
· He abolished religious endowments, inams (gifts), land and subsidy.
· He established efficient intelligence network.
· He also banned social gatherings of his lieutenants, their socialization with the public and inter-caste marriages.
· He directed his lieutenants to collect heavy tax from the public.
3. What are the administrative reforms brought in practice by Mohammad bin Tughlaq?
Ans: Mohammed bin Tughlaq was a great scholar and had vast knowledge but he lacked common sense, understanding, farsightedness and ability to take pragmatic decisions. His reforms can be observed under the following-
· Revenue reforms- He compiled a detailed record of land taxes pertaining to land holdings. He established the Department or agriculture. He rendered help to the farmers.
· Shifting of Capital-He shined his capital from Delhi to Devagiri to locate it in centre of the kingdom. Though his idea was good, Inability to make suitable arrangements for the implementation resulted innumerable people suffering a Jot of problems.
· Practice of symbolic coins - There were gold, silver, copper and brass coins in circulation. Minting of coms was not the monopoly of the government. Thus, when even the common people began minting coins, chaos resulted.
· Deccan policy-He conquered many of Deccan kingdums.
4. Give examples for the contributions of the Delhi Sultans to art and arehitecture.
Ans: The Delhi Sultans introduced a new style of arehitecture known as ‘lndo-lslamic'. Arehes, domes and minarets form the main features of the style. They constructed forts, mosques, palaces, public buildings madras as and choultries Examples of Indo- Islamic style are- Khuwatul Islam mosque, Qutub Minar, Alai Darwaza and Jamait Khana mosque at Delhi.
5 . What was the result of the First Battle of Panipat?
Ans: Babur invaded India in the First Battle of Panipat in 1526 AD. and defeated Ibrahim Lodhi and established Moghul Rule.