CHAPTER – 3
INDIA’S RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHER COUNTRIES
I Choose the Correct Answer from the following alternatives
1. Partition of India in 1947 has led to formation of another country which is now known as
a)Nepal b)Pakistan c)Bangladesh d)China
2. The “Kargil War‟ between India & Pakistan took place in the year
a)1999 b)1997 c)1998 d)1996
3. The expansion of LAC is
a)Line of associates control c) Line of army control c)Line of actual control d) Line of arrow control
4. Which land-locked country is India‟s neighboring nation?
a)Myanmar b)Bhutan c)Bangladesh d) Nepal
5. Bangladesh is also known as?
a)North b) East Pakistan c)South Pakistan d)West Pakistan
6. Which religion has been spread by Indian monks in Sri Lanka during historical path?
a)Christianity b)Buddhism c)Jainism d) Hinduism
7. The expansion of “NAM‟ would be
a)Non-Armament Movement b) Non-aggression Movement c)Non-Alignment Movement d) Non-agreement Movement
8. The “Tashkent Agreement‟ was mediated by
a)Russia b)USA c)India d) Pakistan
9. India and Russian entered into Treaty of Peace for
a)10years b)18years c)12years d)20years
10. Once India gave military support to Sri Lanka to suppress
a) LTTE b)Naxalits c)Maoists d) None of the above
II. Fill in the Blanks
1. In seven continents there are about 198 sovereign states.
2. Partition of India in1947 has led to the formation of Pakistan.
3. India was the first country to recognize Chinese Communist government in October1949
4. Nepal is fully supported by India as it is geographically a land locked country.
5. India maintains good relationship with the USA in the fields of foreign trade, Science and technology and space and education.
6. In 1971 India and Soviet Russia entered into 20 years Treaty of Peace, Friendship and education
7. India is in Asian continent.
8. Bangladesh is in eastern (of India) part.
9. Buddhism has been spread by Indian Monks in Sri Lanka during historical past.
10. The steel plants of Bhilai and Bokoro are assisted by Russia country.
III. Match the following:
1. Kargil War a) 1949 f)1999
2. China‟s aggression b)1961 e)1962
3. Tashkent Agreement c) 1971 d)1966
4. Liberation of Goa d)1966 b)1961
5. India recognized Chinese e)1962 a) 1949
6. Creation of Bangaldesh f) 1999 c) 1971
IV. Answer the following Questions
1. Why there should be good relationship with neighbor?
- Our present day world is called A Family of Nations.
- India is a sovereign nation which means supreme in both internal and external affairs.
- India, as an independent country, has to maintain good relation with all foreign states.
- Our International relations with neighboring states in Asia must be very cordial.
- Our national interests like border security, foreign trade, economic gains, reputation of the country etc. have to be carefully protected.
- That‟s why there should be good relationship with our neighbors.
2. What are the reasons for tension between India and Pakistan?
- There were Indo-Pak wars 1947-48, 1965, 1971 and again in 1999(Kargil War).
- Kashmir problem and terrorism are the major issues between both the countries.
- Nearly one-third of Kashmir is yet to be liberated from Pakistan.
- India is stressing that Pakistan should not promote terrorism and harm our national interest.
3. Why relationship between India and China has been strained in these days?
- China has annexed Tibet against Indian will.
- In 1962 China invaded India and won the war.
- China‟s claim over Arunachal Pradesh, one of our states is a significant issue of Indo-China relationship.
- Maoists‟ terrorism in the form of Naxalism in India is also casting a shadow on our mutual relations.
- Our border is also not finally demarcated.
- Even nuclear threat, foreign trade challenges, military advancements in border areas are some of the issues which strain our relationships with china.
4. “The relationship between India - Sri Lanka are historical‟ analyze.
- There were closer ties between these two nations during the historical past; Sri Lanka is a member of SAARC along with India.
- India is maintaining good ties with Srilanka in economic as well as political fields.
- Once we gave military support to suppress LTTE, Tamil separatists of Jafna area in Srilanka.
- India is closely watching the Tamil movements in Srilanka, and is for the peaceful co-existence between Sinhalese and Tamil people.
- Buddhism has been spread by Indian Monks in course of history in Srilanka.
- India has trade relations with Srilanka.
5. Explain how the relationship between India and USA as democratic nations.
- India maintains good relationship with the USA in the fields of foreign trade, science and technology, space and education.
- Both the nations are bound by the principles of world peace and support for U.N.O.
- India is keeping a close watch on the foreign policy trends of her Democratic and Republic party Presidents.
- Accordingly, we prepare our policy towards the U.S.A.
6. Explain Indian relationship with Russia.
- India maintains good relationship with Russia and it was so even with its predecessor, the U.S.S.R or Soviet Union.
- Though India followed the Non-alignment Policy, Indo-Soviet cooperation continued in political, economic and other fields.
- During the liberation of Goa in 1961 Soviet Russia supported India.
- In 1966, Tashkent Agreement was signed by India and Pakistan with the mediation of Russia.
- In 1971 India and Soviet Russia entered into 20 years Treaty of Peace, Friendship and cooperation.
- Russia assisted India to have steel plants at Bhilai and Bokoro.
- India has received a lot of aid from Russia for the growth of our industry and commerce.
- Russia showed due respect to India‟s size and potentiality compared to Pakistan.
- Russia is supporting Indian claim for permanent seat in the Security Council of UNO.
7. Why Pakistan could not maintain good relationship with India?
Due to military Dictatorships and political instability, Pakistan did not maintain good relationship with India.
8. When did India recognize Chinese Communist Government?
India recognized Chinese Communist Government in October 1949.
9. What sort of support India extends towards Nepal?
India is extending economic cooperation and diplomatic support to Nepal for her political stability.
10. Name the issues which have to be tackled with Bangladesh.
- Infiltration of Bangladesh people into India.
- Smuggling of weapons and drugs to o/ur country.
- Cross border terrorist activities.
11. Why India‟s relation with USA was strained?
The policy makers of the USA extended help to Pakistan in the Indo-Pak wars. Many a time U.S.A.‟s foreign policy has favoured Pakistan at our disadvantage.
POINTS TO REMEMBER:
1947 – Partition of India
1947-48,1965,1971 – Indo-Pak wars
1999 – Kargil war
October 1949 – India to recognize Chinese Communist Government
1971 – Creation of Bangladesh
1962 – Chinese aggression
1961 – Liberation of Goa
1966 – Tashkent Agreement
1971 – 20 years Treaty of Peace, Friendship and cooperation between India and Russia
SAARC – South Asian Association Of Regional Co-operation
LAC – Line of Actual Control
IB – International Border
NAM – Non-Alignment Movement