Meaning and Importance of Political Science
I. Fill up the blanks:
1. The word Politics was derived from the Greek word ______
2. 'Republic' was the work of ____________
3. Aristotle wrote a book on political science and it is called __
4. Koutilya's work relating to political science is _____________
Ans: (1)-Polis; (2)-Plato; 3) - The Politics; (4) - Arthashastra
II. Answer the following questions:
1. What is political science?
Ans: Political Science is a study of political activities of man. Political Science is one of the branches of Social Science. It deals with the state and government. It studies the origin and nature of state and forms of political institutions. The study of state is the main subject matter of political science.
2. Who began the systematic study of Political Science?
Ans: The Greeks began the systematic study of Political Science.
3. Who is called the Father of Political Science?
Ans: Aristotle is called the Father of Political Science
4. Give definition of Political Science.
Ans: (a) Political science is the subject which deals with the affairs of the city state and its working.
(b) It is the study of the state in the past, present and future, of political organization, political functions and political Theories.
5. Mention use of the study of Political Science?
Ans: The study of Political Science helps us in the following ways. 1) It helps us to understand the need for a state, good governance of the state, the role of the leaders and people's participation. 2) It helps the people to become good, responsible, cultured and active citizens. 3) The knowledge of Political Science contributes to the establishment of a just, peaceful, progressive and happy state, which is the dream of millions and millions of people for a long time everywhere.