WATER RESOURCES OF KARNATAKA
I. Fill in the blanks with suitable words:
1. The Cauvery river takes birth in _____________district.
2. The famous Jog Falls is created by the _____________river.
3. The Krishnaraja Sagar darn is in _____________district.
4. The first hydro-electric power generating station in Karnataka is _____________
5. The Almatti Dam has been constructed across _____________ river.
Ans: (l )Talacauvery; (2) Sharavathi; (3 )Mysore; (4) Shivanasamudra; (5) Krishna
II. Discuss in groups and answer the following questions in two to three sentences each :
1. Name the important rivers of Karnataka.
Ans. Rivers of Karnataka can be divided into two groups- (l) East flowing and (2) West flowing rivers. Some of the East flowing rivers are -The Krishna, the Cauvery, the Pennar and the Palar. Some of the West flowing rivers are - Sharavathi, Kali, Gangavali, Netravathi, Varahi, Aghanashini etc.
2. Write a short note on the river Krishna.
Ans. River Krishna is an East flowing river. It is the second important river of South India. It takes birth at Mahabaleshwar and flows 1392 kms towards the east to join the Bay of Bengal. But it flows only for 480 km through Karnataka. The Bhima, Koyna, Tungabhadra, Ghataprabha and Malaprabha are its tributaries. Irrigation and hydro-electric power generation have benefitted to the Northern Karnataka from the Krishna river system.
3. List the tributaries of the Cauvery river.
Ans. River Cauvery has many tributaries. They are Hemavathi, Harangi, Lokapavani, Arkavathi, Shirnsha, Lakshmanatirtha, Kapila, Suvarnavati and Bhavani.
4. Name the different sources of irrigation in Karnataka.
Ans. The different sources of Karnataka are wells, canals and tanks.
5. Mention the main hydro-electric power stations of our state.
Ans. The main hydro-electric power stations of our state are - Shivanasarnudra, Shimsha (Cauvery river), Sharavathi, Linganamakhi, Gerusoppa and Mahatma Gandhi hydro power station (Sharavathi river), Supa, Nagajhari, Kadra and Kodasalh (Kali river), Varahi and mari Kanive (Varahi river), Bhadra, Tungabhadra, Ghataprabha and Alamatti (Knshna fiver) projects.
6. Write a brief note on river water disputes.
Ans-Many rivers in India now through more than one state, has given rise to disputes regarding these of such river water. The Cauvery water dispute and Krishna water disputes III Karnataka are also of this kind. The catchment area of the river Cauvery is spread in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry. The river water dispute between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu is more than a century old, yet It is a burning Issue even today. The river Krishna too flows in different states, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. This fact too has given' rise to river water dispute.
IV. Match the following:
1. Linganamakki dam (a) Hydro-electric project
2. Gaganachukki, Bharachukki (b) River
3. Vani Vilas Sagar (c) Kali river
4. Nagaj hari (d) Cauvcry river
5. Pennar (e) Sharavathi
Ans. 1 - (e); 2 - (d); 3 - (f); 4 - (a); 5 - (b).